YMCA of Pictou County Child Care Centre
Early Educator Job Description
Nature & Scope
The Early Educator plays a leadership role in the development and implementation of the children. The Early Educator is responsible for the day-to-day operational activities of the child care center - ensuring that all legislative and regulatory standards are met or exceeded consistently, and the level of programming is of an excellent caliber. The Early Educator uses sensitivity and maturity in dealing with both adults and children.
· Ensure that the everyday planning consists of high quality, age-appropriate programming that exceeds Provincial licensing requirements, along with Playing to Learn
· Ensure that provincial licensing requirements are met and that we are current on all relevant legislation and policies.
· Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of children ages 3 months to 5 years of age
· Ensure that children are supervised at all times, and that the children are involved in safe and appropriate activities.
· Ensures open, ongoing communication between parents/guardians of children and staff members
· Actively participate in Association initiatives involving campaigns, fundraising programs and other educational and promotional initiatives
· Marketing and recruitment of volunteers and participants
· Ensure accurate children records are kept
· Maintain confidentiality regarding issues with staff and program participants
· Meet strategic goals as agreed upon with the Director, of Child Care
· Demonstrate and promote a personal understanding of, and appreciation for the mission, vision and values of the YMCA
· Maintain a professional working relationship with NS Department of Community Services
· Current Standard First Aid and CPR Certification
· A current criminal reference and child abuse registry check must be provided.
· Experience working with Children
· Early Childhood Education Diploma or equivalent
Commitment to Organization, Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, outcomes and values of the YMCA. Articulates the uniqueness and holistic nature of the YMCA and seeks opportunities to fulfill its Mission.
Leadership: Motivates and inspires self and others to take action to achieve desired outcomes.
Coaching and Development: Commits to assisting participants, volunteers, staff and self in continuous learning and development. Shares knowledge and experience.
Integrity: Demonstrates responsible behavior at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
Creativity and Innovation: Develops new ways or adapts existing ideas to help achieve desired results. Challenges the status quo to discover more effective ways of performing.
Relationship Building and Collaboration: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner that supports goal achievement across the Association.
Commitment of Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and evaluate other of risk- and harm-reduction.
Flexibility and Adaptability: Able to work quickly and efficiently despite ambiguity, adjusts to customer needs, responds to unforeseen opportunities and issues with confidence, integrates new information as it becomes available.
Successful applicants will be required to undergo a criminal record check and child abuse registry screening. Before employment you must complete a Child Protection Orientation. The YMCA is committed to equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion.